Image Map

Strawberry Lemon Muffins

Its starting to feel a lot like spring out there! The grass is growing, flowers in my moms garden are starting to sprout ( my "garden" is still a giant mud pit!) and the girls are bugging to go outside a lot more. One sure fire way to tell that warmer weather is right around the corner though, is the growing selection of yummy berries at the grocery store.
Strawberries are my absolute favorite and I love baking with them. Usually my go to berry baking involves shortcakes, bars, strawberry-chocolate cupcakes and muffins. This year though I'm trying to focus on more healthy snacks for my family. 
A few weeks ago I came across a recipe for flour/butter/sugar free banana muffins that were supposed to be amazing, they were a huge disappointment, but I thought with a few tweaks, the recipe may actually be salvageable. Here is what I came up with.

Strawberry Lemon Muffins


Please refrain from licking your computer screen, or not, but Im not cleaning it.

Makes 12 muffins
Ingredients


 2 1/2 cup Oats (old fashioned kind, not quick cooking)
1 cup Plain Greek yogurt
2 Eggs
1/2 cup sugar ( yes the sugar snuck back in)
1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Baking soda
1 1/2 cups strawberries
4 whole strawberries
1 TBSP lemon zest
1/2 tsp lemon juice

Garnish (optional )
1/2 cup strawberries sliced thin
1 tbsp whole oats

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 and grease a 12 muffin tin
Add oats into blender or food processor and blend until smooth.  Add in sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and lemon zest and combine. Add yogurt, the whole strawberries, and eggs blend until smooth. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add strawberries and mix. Transfer batter to muffin tin. Top with strawberries and whole oats.
Bake for 25ish minutes, but keep an eye on them. They are done when a knife/toothpick/whatever you use to check muffins comes out clean.
Let cool and enjoy.

Note: One of the mistakes I made with the banana muffins was using paper liners, apparently paper liners do not work well in flour less recipes, so I bake these naked ( the muffins not me, lol).  You could use reusable silicone liners though, if you prefer.

Happy Baking



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin